Please note that this course is now available online.
This course is designed for graphic designers, typesetters and anyone else wishing to create fully accessible PDFs from InDesign. It covers not only the technical aspects of accessible document production, but also a wide range of accessible content creation techniques, including key Adobe Illustrator techniques. It also includes a short section on the one or two things that will typically need to be finished in Acrobat Professional.
- Workflow and how to approach the process of making PDFs accessible
- Overview of relevant standards
- Creating accessible document structure
- How (and how not) to design accessible navigation: bookmarks, tables of contents, page numbering, “interactive PDFs”
- Creating accessible internal and external links
- Footnotes and endnotes
- Colour contrast, tools and techniques
- Colour blindness, tools and techniques
- Designing tables for accessibility and usability
- How to write appropriate text alternatives for images, charts and infographics
- Using Adobe Illustrator to optimise infographics, charts and other complex images for literacy software users
- Text formatting and unicode issues
- Accessible fonts: main characteristics
- Setting both reading orders
- Techniques for avoiding inaccessible backgrounds
- Managing multiple language content
- Document management
- Essential post-production editing using Acrobat Professional
- Accessible forms
- Testing against standards, with automated accessibility checkers, and with multiple assistive technologies
- Participants: we recommend a maximum of 6
- Duration: one and a half days
- Prerequisites: at a minimum, a basic knowledge of the fundamentals of InDesign is required in order to get the best from this course
After searching the internet finding so much conflicting information about accessibility requirements it was great to have all the information and guidance we’d ever need in one place, provided and delivered by Ted at a very logical, understandable level and pace that we felt comfortable with. The training was thorough and relevant, with lots of real life examples which made it easier to relate to in our day to day work. Our whole team benefitted considerably from it. This course is an absolute must for any creative agency working with clients in both the public and private sectors to create any publications and all types of forms.
The workshop was extremely insightful and well worth the time and cost. I’ve attended subsequent webinars regarding accessibility, and I found that this workshop was much more helpful than the other webinars I’ve attended. Would absolutely recommend this to anyone working with InDesign in electronic print.
We loved training with Ted! He took a very complicated task and broke it down for us into a comprehensive step by step process. Ted also took plenty of time to answer all our questions and adapt his teaching to help us get to grips with specifics in InDesign and Word. Ted is hugely experienced in this field and we would definitely recommend his training sessions to anyone wanting a comprehensive and in depth understanding of everything you need to consider. We finished feeling fully informed on all aspects of making our documents accessible.
Our team made the right decision to do the accessibility training with Ted, even though it meant staying late due to the time difference with Australia. Not only that Ted is a gun at what he does, we also love his passion to advocate for people with disability. We absolutely love the course and it definitely opened our eyes as to what an accessible document entails. Our decision to do this course expanded our knowledge, as well as earning brownie points with our clients. We definitely wouldn’t hesitate to work again with Ted should the opportunity arise.
Really enjoyed the training, having been using Google in an attempt to self-teach myself – this course showed me the correct way to do things and answered lots of questions, it also assured me that some of what I was doing was right and the areas where my knowledge was lacking! I liked the mix of theory and practical, the background and ‘rules’ around accessibility, mixed with the ‘how do you do…’ it was a good balance. The trainer was friendly and extremely knowledgeable – he certainly knows his stuff!
An intensive full day course with a very knowledgeable teacher. When I saw that the class was 8 hours, I assumed that we would not need all the time allocated… How wrong I was! We worked flat out with only short breaks, it was the most intense training course I’ve had in years. And it was excellent. Ted did a great job of covering a huge amount of information in a digestible way. I really felt it was great value and I learned a huge amount.
Incredibly useful courses. All the elements were explained really clearly and the manuals provided are a great resource.
Ted’s knowledge and experience in the industry is incredible and so too was his ability to make an otherwise complex subject matter exciting and interesting. Thank you.
I was a little daunted at the prospect of a full day’s course on creating accessible PDFs from InDesign, but I needn’t have worried. The process was interesting and thorough covering every aspect in a clear and simple way. The additional materials that you take away are invaluable with step by step instructions to follow. Ted’s experience is excellent and made what at times is a very complex process so much clearer.
It is always a pleasure to work with Ted. There is nothing he doesn’t know about making communications accessible. He willingly shares his knowledge and expertise and has been an invaluable support to my team. He has helped us out on many occasions with tight deadlines and the standard of his work is always of the highest quality.