Our flagship InDesign course is designed for graphic designers, typesetters and anyone else wishing to create fully accessible PDFs from InDesign. It covers not only the technical aspects of creating accessible PDFs from InDesign, but also a wide range of accessible content creation techniques, based on our almost two decades’ experience in the accessibility field.
- Colour contrast, issues, tools and techniques
- Colour blindness, design considerations, tools and techniques
- Designing tables for accessibility and usability
- How to write appropriate text alternatives for images, charts and infographics
- Optimising infographics, charts and other complex images for users of dyslexia and literacy software
- Avoiding link accessibility problems
- Text formatting—avoiding potential accessibility problems
- Overview of relevant standards
- Creating document structure
- How (and, crucially, how not) to design accessible navigation: bookmarks, tables of contents, page numbering (and optionally, indexes — see below)
- Creating accessible internal and external links
- Footnotes vs. endnotes?
- Setting both reading orders
- Font encoding, issues and techniques
- Techniques for avoiding inaccessible backgrounds
- Managing multiple language documents
- Document management
Optional additional topics
- Accessible indexes
- Accessible forms
- Accessible mathematical expressions
- Time saving and high-level finishing with the MadeToTag plug-in
- Participants: we recommend a maximum of 6
- Duration: 1 day, typically (can be longer if optional topics are included)
- Prerequisites: at least a basic knowledge of the fundamentals of InDesign is required in order to get the best from this course
Course materials include an illustrated, printed and bound course manual (typically 100 or more pages), and various handouts, “cheat sheets” and links to free tools and other online resources.
Terms and conditions
Please see our booking terms and conditions (PDF, 49KB).
Download Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader DC.
Ted’s knowledge and experience in the industry is incredible and so too was his ability to make an otherwise complex subject matter exciting and interesting. Thank you.
I was a little daunted at the prospect of a full day’s course on creating accessible PDFs from InDesign, but I needn’t have worried. The process was interesting and thorough covering every aspect in a clear and simple way. The additional materials that you take away are invaluable with step by step instructions to follow. Ted’s experience is excellent and made what at times is a very complex process so much clearer.
It is always a pleasure to work with Ted. There is nothing he doesn’t know about making communications accessible. He willingly shares his knowledge and expertise and has been an invaluable support to my team. He has helped us out on many occasions with tight deadlines and the standard of his work is always of the highest quality.