Our flagship InDesign course is designed principally for graphic designers and typesetters to enable them to create fully accessible PDFs from InDesign. It covers not only the technical aspects of creating accessible PDFs from InDesign, but also a wide range of content-related techniques, based on our almost two decades’ experience in the accessibility field.
- Colour contrast, issues and techniques
- Colour blindness, issues and techniques
- Designing tables for accessibility and usability
- How to write appropriate text alternatives for images, charts and infographics
- Optimising infographics, charts and other complex images for dyslexic and other print disabled users (including optimising Adobe Illustrator files)
- Avoiding link accessibility problems
- Text issues and techniques
- Accessibility overview and relevant standards
- Creating structure (headings, lists, tables etc) using styles
- How (and how not) to design accessible navigation: bookmarks, tables of contents, page numbering (and optionally, indexes — see below)
- Creating accessible internal and external links
- Setting both reading orders
- Font encoding, issues and techniques
- Accessible backgrounds
- Dealing with transparencies
- Document management
Optional additional topics
- Creating accessible indexes
- Creating accessible forms
- Dealing with mathematical expressions
- Working with the MadeToTag plug-in
- Participants: we recommend a maximum of 6
- Duration: 1 day, typically (can be longer if optional topics are included)
- Prerequisites: at least a basic knowledge of the fundamentals of InDesign is required in order to get the best from this course
Course materials/handouts include:
- Illustrated, printed and bound course manual
- WCAG 2.0 check list
- Screen reader “cheat sheet”
- Links to various free tools
Terms and conditions
Please see our booking terms and conditions (PDF, 49KB).
Download Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader DC.
Ted’s knowledge and experience in the industry is incredible and so too was his ability to make an otherwise complex subject matter exciting and interesting. Thank you.
I was a little daunted at the prospect of a full day’s course on creating accessible PDFs from InDesign, but I needn’t have worried. The process was interesting and thorough covering every aspect in a clear and simple way. The additional materials that you take away are invaluable with step by step instructions to follow. Ted’s experience is excellent and made what at times is a very complex process so much clearer.
It is always a pleasure to work with Ted. There is nothing he doesn’t know about making communications accessible. He willingly shares his knowledge and expertise and has been an invaluable support to my team. He has helped us out on many occasions with tight deadlines and the standard of his work is always of the highest quality.