This course is designed for graphic designers, typesetters and anyone else wishing to create fully accessible PDFs from InDesign. It covers not only the technical aspects of creating accessible PDFs from InDesign, but also a wide range of accessible content creation techniques, based on our almost two decades’ experience in the accessibility field.
Each delegate will receive a printed and bound course manual covering the entire course content (typically 100+ pages), including numerous links to essential free downloadable tools and other online resources, a WCAG 2.1 checklist and screen reader “cheat sheets”.
- Overview of relevant standards
- Creating document structure
- How (and how not) to design accessible navigation: bookmarks, tables of contents, page numbering (and optionally, indexes — see below)
- Creating accessible internal and external links
- Footnotes vs. endnotes?
- Colour contrast, issues, tools and techniques
- Colour blindness, design considerations, tools and techniques
- Designing tables for accessibility and usability
- How to write appropriate text alternatives for images, charts and infographics
- Optimising infographics, charts and other complex images for users of dyslexia and literacy software
- Avoiding link accessibility problems
- Text formatting—avoiding potential accessibility problems
- Setting both reading orders
- Font encoding, issues and techniques
- Techniques for avoiding inaccessible backgrounds
- Managing multiple language documents
- Document management
- Essential Acrobat post-production editing
Optional additional topics
- Accessible forms
- Using the MadeToTag plug-in
- Acrobat finishing techniques
- Accessible indexes
- Participants: we recommend a maximum of 6
- Duration: 1 day, typically. However, a day and a half to 2 days will be required if optional topics such as forms, testing, and the MadeToTag plug-in are included
- Prerequisites: at least a basic knowledge of the fundamentals of InDesign is required in order to get the best from this course
Incredibly useful courses. All the elements were explained really clearly and the manuals provided are a great resource.
Ted’s knowledge and experience in the industry is incredible and so too was his ability to make an otherwise complex subject matter exciting and interesting. Thank you.
I was a little daunted at the prospect of a full day’s course on creating accessible PDFs from InDesign, but I needn’t have worried. The process was interesting and thorough covering every aspect in a clear and simple way. The additional materials that you take away are invaluable with step by step instructions to follow. Ted’s experience is excellent and made what at times is a very complex process so much clearer.
It is always a pleasure to work with Ted. There is nothing he doesn’t know about making communications accessible. He willingly shares his knowledge and expertise and has been an invaluable support to my team. He has helped us out on many occasions with tight deadlines and the standard of his work is always of the highest quality.