This course includes all aspects of creating accessible PDFs from Microsoft Word, covering both the content creation and the technical aspects. The course is typically run on Word 2013 or 2106, but also covers version differences, bugs and workarounds for Word versions 2003 onwards (Mac or Windows).
- Applying structure with headings, lists, tables of contents, etc
- Avoiding creating link accessibility problems (multiple techniques)
- How to write effective alt text for images, including charts and other complex graphics
- Optimising diagrams and charts for users of dyslexia and literacy software
- Image formats—avoiding potential accessibility problems
- Designing tables for accessibility and usability
- Colour contrast, issues, tools and techniques
- Colour blindness, design considerations, tools and techniques
- Text formatting—avoiding potential accessibility problems
- Language settings
- Understanding the limitations of Word’s built-in accessibility checker
- Document management
- Creating a tagged PDF
- Audience: non-specialist, designed for anyone authoring content in Microsoft Word
- Participants: we recommend a maximum of 6
- Duration: typically 5 to 6 hours
- Prerequisites: none
Course materials include an illustrated, printed and bound course manual (typically 60 pages), and various handouts, “cheat sheets” and links to free tools and other online resources.
Terms and conditions
Please see our booking terms and conditions (PDF, 49KB).
Download Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader DC.
The training was motivating, inspiring, interesting and informative. Ted’s proven knowledge was delivered in a comfortable manner, with easy explanations helping to engage delegates fully with the subject matter.
Ted delivered Creating Accessible Documents training to staff from a variety of backgrounds and departments in Sense and all found it a really interesting session, which stimulated lots of discussion and made everyone feel more confident about generating documents that will meet the needs of the people we support. We would thoroughly recommend the training to others.