This two-day course covers not only the full range of technical aspects of accessible ebook production, but also a wide range of content-related techniques, based on our almost two decades’ experience in accessible document production.
Each delegate will receive a printed and bound course manual for each day of the course (typically 100+ pages each), including numerous links to essential free downloadable tools and other online resources. VoiceOver and JAWS “cheat sheets” are included in the day-two manual.
Core topics include:
- Overview of standards
- Document structure, navigation and reading order
- Handling images correctly and writing effective text alternatives
- Colour blindness and colour contrast
- Using InDesign to produce clean, effective HTML5 and CSS
- Ensuring bug-free rendering across devices and platforms
- Leveraging the EPUB structural semantics vocabulary
- Editing with oXygen, Dreamweaver or Sigil
- Accessibility metadata
- Automated testing with Ace
- Testing with assistive technologies
- Participants: we recommend a maximum of 6 for “hands-on” style training, or unlimited numbers for “lecture-style” training
- Duration: 2 days
- Prerequisites: at least a basic knowledge of the fundamentals of InDesign is required in order to get the best from this course
The ebook training was extremely valuable. We are now well equipped to publish well-structured ebooks that will be flawlessly accessible to our students.
I have worked with Ted over a number of years, first on creating accessible PDF then moving on to accessible eBooks. I do not know of anyone with a greater wealth of knowledge or experience in these areas. If you are looking for advice, information or training on any of these topics, your first stop should be to talk to Ted.