This course complements and follows on from our Accessible ebooks from InDesign module. However, it can also be taken as a stand-alone course.
- Accessibility overview and relevant EPUB standards
- Overview of the EPUB3 accessibility guidelines and WCAG 2.0
- Overview of editing tools including oXygen and Dreamweaver
- Unzipping an EPUB
- Understanding the anatomy of an EPUB
- HTML5 overview and techniques
- CSS overview and techniques
- The EPUB structural semantics vocabulary
- Editing the content.opf file
- Navigation: tables of contents/figure/tables, landmarks, page lists, (indexes), ncx files
- Introduction to WAI-ARIA
- Accessibility metadata
- Converting to Kindle
- Testing on multiple devices and platforms
- Participants: we recommend a maximum of 6
- Duration: 1 day, typically (can be longer if optional topics are covered)
- Prerequisites: none
Course materials include an illustrated, printed and bound course manual (typically 100 pages), and various handouts, “cheat sheets” and links to free tools and other online resources.
Terms and conditions
Please see our booking terms and conditions (PDF, 49KB).
Download Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader DC.
The ebook training was extremely valuable. We are now well equipped to publish well-structured ebooks that will be flawlessly accessible to our students.
I have worked with Ted over a number of years, first on creating accessible PDF then moving on to accessible eBooks. I do not know of anyone with a greater wealth of knowledge or experience in these areas. If you are looking for advice, information or training on any of these topics, your first stop should be to talk to Ted.